Learn how to stay healthy and vital during this transition times from warm weather to cold weather. You know the bug is going around. Here are some recommendations for you to prevent getting sick.
1. PREVENTION: : Chinese Medicine is a great for prevention! For people prone to colds or seasonal allergies, it is recommended to come during the transition of Fall to Winter for a treatment with acupuncture to tonify the defensive “Chi”, or energy which is related to the immune system.
2. BOOST YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM: You can boost your immune system by taking supplements like VIT C, and herbal tincture blends with Echinacea, Astragalus and Propolis. For a costume Chinese herbal formula please see your local Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioner.
3. FOOD AS YOUR MEDICINE: Its super important to have a balanced and healthy diet. Because it is a colder season, try not to eat many raw and cold veggies, but rather steam or boiled them. This way your body stays warm and doesn’t deplete energy through the digestion, but rather uses that energy for your immune system. Also try to avoid phlegm forming foods like sugar, alcohol and diary.
4. HYDRATE: Our bodies are 80% water, and its through water that we can eliminate toxic pathogens through our breath, sweat, urine and bowel movements. Try to drink at least 2 litters of water every day, preferably room temperature or warm.
5. STAY WARM: Bundle up when you go outside to cold weathers. In Chinese Medicine we believe wind is the carrier of external pathogens into your body, so avoid direct contact of any cold winds. Another great way to stay warm is to drink delicious warm teas like lemon, honey and ginger tea. This blend is great because lemon has Vitamin C, honey gives you that extra energy that you need and and ginger will help you clear toxins, protect your stomach and warm your body.
6. STAY ACTIVE: Staying home all day in front of the computer or TV is no good! Try to do some stretches, yoga class and go for a walk in nature. Exercise is great to get your heart pumping, your blood flowing and prevents external toxic pathogens to linger and stagnate in your body.
7. BE HAPPY: Smiling and laughing have a natural uplifting effect on us! It can help you bring down your stress levels and protect your immune system. Try to surround yourself with people that make you smile. Also try to do at least one activity a week that makes you truly happy, that could mean a yoga class, snowshoeing, a hot bath with candles and a book, a movie night with your girlfriends, anything that makes you feel relaxed and joyful!